13 Jul Be a Part of the 2015 Homeless Point in Time Count
Have you ever wondered how we get our local homeless statistics? How do outreach workers determine where individuals and families are living unsheltered? How do we keep track of someone who has no address? How are decisions made about which services to offer?
A nationwide Point-in-Time Count is a homeless census that takes place each year at the end of January to provide data to the U.S. Housing and Urban Development (HUD) office to better plan for the distribution of resources to help homeless people. It also provides information about whether homelessness is growing or abating in specific geographical areas. Service providers, outreach workers, and hundreds of volunteers cover a LOT of terrain over the course of five days, surveying anyone who appears to be homeless in an attempt to get an accurate picture of the state of homelessness in Hawaii and across the nation. The Point in Time Count helps our community learn more about where the homeless are congregating so that we can improve strategies for offering help.
YOU can be a part of this important event in several ways.
- Host a Drive and collect donations of snacks like energy bars or trail mix to pass out to the homeless people we encounter. Or gather supplies like flashlights, batteries, and clipboards to help field workers and volunteers be more effective.
- Report any persistent encampments you see to our Homeless Hotline at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Volunteer through IHS during the week of January 26-30. You can help with data entry from the interviews we’ve collected in our offices or join us in the field to help our outreach workers count and survey the homeless. Morning and afternoon shifts are available. We need field volunteers in the following areas.
- North ShoreWahiawa
- Downtown/Urban Honolulu
- Get trained. Special training will be provided and anyone over 18 is welcome to join. Orientation dates are January 22nd from 12-1 pm or January 23rd from 4:30-5:30 pm.
- Wear light colored clothing, covered shoes, and be able to walk on uneven terrain.
- Bring flashlight, raingear if appropriate and phone if coming for evening event.
For more information on how you can get involved with IHS and the Point in Time Count, contact email@example.com or call 808-447-2810.